To start using the Managed Web Service (MWS) you will normally work through the following steps:
- Visit the MWS control panel and register a new site (see Creating and destroying servers).
- Respond to a challenge email to confirm that the email address that you supplied reaches you
- Once your server has been configured, either use SSH to log into the site and create content in /var/www/default/docroot, or use sFTP or scp to copy existing content there (see Transferring files and connecting to sites). To use the MWS you need to know how to create or install the content you want.
- Access the site via the web using your site's hostname, something like http://mws-12345.mws3.csx.cam.ac.uk/
From here, you can:
- arrange to pay for your server (see Billing and administration)
- add additional administrators and users to your site (see Users)
- add permanent hostnames to your site (see Creating and destroying sites and Hostnames on the Managed Web Server)
- create additional web sites on your server (see Creating and destroying sites) and create or upload content for them (see Transferring files and connecting to sites)
- investigate other facilities available to you (see How to use provided software)