The 'Managed Web Service' (MWS) provides University users with a versatile infrastructure on which to run websites. In the range of services provided by UIS to run websites it fits between a VM service, which provides hardware and network only, and Falcon, which provides pre-installed, pre-configured, templated content management.
The MWS is provided to support of the work of the University, the Colleges and its related institutions. It can also support collaborations with outside bodies.
The MWS provides Unix-based web hosting which:
- is similar to commercial web hosting providers
- doesn't need significant Unix knowledge
- provides delegated management
What you get
On request you get a MWS 'server'. Each server supports one or more web 'sites'. Servers have one (preferably more) 'administrators' who are responsible for the server's operation. Administrators manage their MWS Servers via the 'MWS control panel' and are expected to install and support the content as required.
A server in the Managed Web Service includes:
- a server with 1 Core CPU and up to 2GB of RAM running Debian 8 (Jessie)
- Apache (2.4.10), PHP (5.6.17), Python (2.7.9), Perl (5.20.2), MySQL (5.5.47)
- Replicated SSD disk storage (you have a choice of 10GB, 20GB, or 50GB of usable disk)
- a hostname ending .cam.ac.uk
- a public IPv4 address and a public IPv6 address
- access to a simple web-based control panel
- integration with University DNS services
- integration with UIS authentication and authorisation: UIS password via Raven for access to the control panel, UIS password for interactive login to sites, Lookup groups for access control
- backups and user access to frequent file system snapshots as standard
- geographically-diverse dual-location high-availability as standard
Using the MWS attracts a cost of £100.00 a year for 10GB of usable disk, £150.00 a year for 20GB, and £300 a year for 50GB (no VAT for University institutions).